Menu Close

Part P of the Building Regulations – Electrical Testing Costs, Prices Quotes & Estimates

The statutory requirements for electrical installations are different in England and Wales from those in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Electricians carrying out work in England and Wales have to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations whereas in Scotland it is the Building Standards system. At the present time Northern Ireland has no equivalent statutory requirement.

Understanding Part P of Building Regulations

What is Part P? Part P of the Building Regulations came into effect in 2005 for homes in England and Wales. It covers all electrical work carried out in homes, whether done by professionals or as DIY projects. The purpose is to ensure that electrical work in your home is safe and reduces the risk of accidents.

Shropshire EICR Electrician

Who Needs to Comply? If you’re a homeowner or landlord, it’s your responsibility to make sure that any electrical work in your home meets Part P requirements. If it doesn’t, you could be breaking the law. Local authorities have the power to make you fix any work that doesn’t meet these regulations.

What Electrical Work is Covered? Starting from April 2013, you need to notify your local building control if you’re doing certain electrical work. This includes:

  • Installing a new circuit
  • Replacing a consumer unit (fusebox)
  • Changing or adding to an existing circuit in special areas like rooms with baths or showers, swimming pools, or saunas.

What Do I Do Before Starting Electrical Work?

First, check if your work is covered by the regulations. If it is, you have two options:

  1. Hire an electrician who’s registered with a government-approved scheme.
  2. Notify your local authority’s building control before you start the work.

Starting April 2014, you can also use a non-registered electrician who’s working with a registered third-party certifier. They’ll inspect and test the work to ensure it meets the regulations.

Benefits of Using a Registered Electrician

It’s recommended to hire a registered electrician because:

  • Your work should meet the national standard (BS 7671).
  • You’ll receive certificates that confirm your work complies with regulations.
  • If something goes wrong, you can follow a formal complaints procedure or even make a claim.

If You Don’t Use a Registered Electrician

If you don’t use a registered electrician, the person doing the work needs to notify a registered third-party certifier within five days of finishing. They’ll inspect the work and provide a report to confirm if it meets the requirements.

In a nutshell, Part P is about making sure that electrical work in your home is safe. If you follow the regulations and work with registered professionals, you’ll have peace of mind knowing your home’s electrical systems are up to standard.

Electrical Testing Costs, Prices Quotes & Estimates

Use the form below or call us on 01743 461471 if you are planning any residential, commercial or industrial electrical projects or installations in Shropshire, Mid Wales or the West Midlands

We will be happy to discuss your electrical installation costs, prices, estimates and quotes from changing a broken socket to a complete electrical rewire or an electrical inspection and test.


Looking for More Than Just  Electrical Quick Fixes? Let Us Be Your Trusted Electricians in Shrewsbury!

NICEIC approved electrical company in Shropshire that proudly serve Bishop’s Castle, Bridgnorth, Broseley, Church Stretton, Cleobury Mortimer, Clun, Craven Arms, Dawley, Ellesmere, Ludlow, Madeley, Market Drayton, Much Wenlock, Newport, Oakengates, Oswestry, Shifnal, Shrewsbury, Telford, Wellington, Wem and Whitchurch.

Shropshire Electrical Testing
Garden Building Electrical